Coding for Inventory

To determine if an item should be coded 490-499 and placed on inventory, please answer the following questions:

1. Will the item maintain its original shape in use?
2. Is its life expectancy more than one year?
3. Can it be repaired if needed?
4. Does it costs less than $5,000?

If you answered "YES" to all four questions, then use one of the following codes and send over information so that this item can be placed on inventory.

491 Instructional Equipment
492 Furniture and Fixtures
493 Non-Instructional Equipment
494 Audio/Video Equipment
495 Computer Hardware
496 Library/Media Equipment
497 Laboratory Equipment
498 Athletics and Physical Ed Equipment
499 Other Equipment

If you answered "NO" to any question 1-3, then use one of the "supplies" codes.

If you answered "NO" to question 4, then use a fixed asset code and send over the original information to be put on fixed asset inventory. THIS MUST BE SENT OVER ON THE DATE OF PAYMENT--PLEASE CALL MELISSA TO GIVE HER THE DETAILS.



Destiny/Follet 414
Keyboard, Mouse, Ram, Flash Drives (classroom) 411 or 419
Keyboard, Mouse, Ram (office) 489
Printers (more than $100) 491
Printers (less than $100 classroom) 411
Printers (less than $100 office) 489
NComputing Device 495
Monitors (classroom) 491
Monitors (office) 493
Switches Routers, etc 499
Transceivers 489
Memory Card, Battery, etc 489
Digital Camera w/accessories 494

NOTE: In order to purchase any item from Technology Fund it must be in your Technology Plan.



All inventory numbers are assigned at Central Office. The number is then sent to the principal/designee who will inform the teacher to write the number on the item. Failure to do so will result in an incorrect classroom listing during the annual check. Note: Do not assign numbers to your new items as this will cause duplicate entries in the system.

When a Discard Inventory form is submitted: It is processed at the Central Office, signed by the superintendent, and the permission to discard form is then sent back to the school principal. All non-repairable electronics and computer equipment can then be placed in the school’s storage area until it is picked up by the recycling truck. NEVER put in the garbage.

If you have useable items that no longer serve a purpose for your classroom, attempt to find another teacher who may use it. If no one in your school can use it you may want to email everybody to see if another school in our county can use it. Another way is to sell the items by public sale. Proceeds from the sale of surplus property will be receipted to the Central Office general fund and credited back to the school site budget from which the original purchase of the property was made. All schools have a storage area for the surplus items to be stored until the sale. 

» Back to Questions